Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A real experience you MUST read. (You will need tissues)

This is an absolute true story that happened to me just yesterday. Prepare to grab your box of Kleenex (hear that Aunt Bev).

It was aroound 8:00 and I was decorating my front bay window for Christmas, I noticed a boy with what appeared to be a book bag. I saw a woman in a white car stop and chat with the boy for a little while and then she drove away. He looked around, standing close to the edge of the road, I feared he would be hit by a car. I stared and watched wondering what is this boy doing. He started yelling to me "lady please help me, please lady". With slight hesitation I ran to the front door and opened it slowly.

"What's wrong honey?" "I need a ride home to Wilkes Barre he said shivering in the 20 degree weather. "Wilkes Barre? you're in Pittston?", where are your parents and where are you coming from? After several minutes of listening to his stories I realized this boy has no home. He told me he was 11 years old (thats right, just 11) and that he was taken away from his parents in New York. He had a 7 year old brother and a little sister (didn't get her age), they lived with his Godmother in Wilkes Barre and he wanted to live there too. He ran away from a local orphanage because the other kids didn't like him and he missed his brother and sister. I asked "how long have you lived at this orphanage?" (I am keeping the name private to respect my little friend's privacy). He told me a few weeks. I sat him down on my front stpes and let him pour his little heart out.

He was so cold and so scared. He was walking around for nearly 4 hours and just wanted to see his brother and sister. I explained to him how special he was and that I only knew him for a short time and had a love for him already. He looked at me with disbelief and said "lady will come work where I live, you're very nice." That says to me he just needs someone to believe in him and I did, I told him how much I believed in him. I explained that just because he was taken away from his parents didn't mean he was the bad one...I told him his situation was not his fault and he could change it. I told him to stay where he was at and believe that good things can and will happen. After moments of talking and listening I told him I had to call and he had to go back to the orphanage. He kept asking over and over, "am I going to jail?" and I said no honey I promise you'll be ok.

The orphanage was closed and an anwering service was all I kept getting, I explained I had to call the cops but assured him that cops are good people and they don't only take bad guys but help people in bad situations too. I went in the house and called 911 and explained he was a good kid who was just scared and sad. They asked if he was a little black boy from the orphanage and I said yes he is, they knew he was ok and were on their way. As they drove up the street I said "look honey, they don't even have their lights and sirens on, your not introuble" , and we both chuckled. I looked at him and said "are you scared?" and he said "yes", I knew I had to let this cop know this boy is not a criminal and he is only 11.

As the cop (actually a state trooper) pulled over he said "boy from the orphanage", I said yes, this is Shamar (fake name), and he is a good kid who is confused and scared. I put my hand on Shamar's shoulder, gave it a squeeze, and said "I believe in you and you will make something of yourself, stay on the right path and I know you'll be ok, believe in yourself Shamar!" I walked to my front door with a lump in my throat and a heaviness about me and as I went to turn the handle the officer yelled, "Maam, thanks for taking care of him, he'll be ok" and I said "it was my pleasure and I know he'll be ok". I closed the door and that was it, holy waterworks, I cried for over an hour.

To think it all started putting Christmas decorations in a window and meeting a boy who has no idea who he is even spending Christmas with. I called the orphanage today, and after being told they don't take volunteers, I pleaded and begged explaining I am torn between Nursing and Social work and that I really wanted to see if I could handle it...after begging and begging and explaining I have all the requirements (child abuse clearance, more than half my credits for a sociology degree, and a heart filled with love), I have an appointment Tuesday the 16th.

To think this little boy who thinks he means nothing may be the reason I make one of the biggest decisions of my life...He's going to make it, I know he is :)

No comments: