Monday, June 29, 2009

Character Education

I believe that children should be taught values and ethics at home. I think it is wrong for society to subject teachers to this task. Having to rely on teachers to instill manners on our children is unfair. Parents should be providing these values in the home. I also feel that a teacher should have the authority to intervene if a child is not showing proper values and manners in school. I do think that a teacher does need to encourage good behavior but not be the foundation of that behavior. Many of our children today lack respect for authority. It infuriates me when I see parents defending their child’s inappropriate behavior, when they really need to be reevaluating their parenting techniques. I am not an expert, however I have worked with children for years, and I noticed the children became more and more disrespectful as the years went on. It is my opinion that a parent needs to be an ally with the teacher. Instilling morals and values in your child, at home, allows the teacher to focus on educating children academically.

No comments: